Saturday, July 31, 2010

Twin Fun

I had lunch yesterday with my very dear friend Virginia and her identical twin sister. I've never had a close friend with an identical twin before, so it was a huge novelty for me. They not only look alike, but they use the same mannerisms, the same speech patterns, even the same little catch-phrases. I was like a little kid, all excited about it, and they tolerantly validated my excited revelations, "Yes, it's something, isn't it?" and then changed the subject as soon as they could do so politely! I'm sure they have dealt with that reaction incessantly their whole lives...

I guess I expected the physical similarities, but, honestly, I felt like I knew her sister already (and she seemed very sweet). I suppose, though, that there is probably something to be said for their upbringing, too. I've often found it easy to converse with natal family members of my dearest friends. Also, my sister and mother and I have all been confused for each other at various times on the phone, so it makes sense that Virginia and her sister would sound alike (beyond the fact that, as Virginia reminded me at one of my outbursts, "we do have identical vocal cords").

There are an amazing number of similarities in their life patterns, as well, and they seem to have a very strong intuitive connection to each other, as evidenced by some of the stories Virginia has shared with me.

Okay...I suppose that's about it! For this person who looks for coincidences everywhere and gets excited at making connections, this was a bit like free rein at a candy store! How fun!

No comments: