Project #2 Cliffs at the sea in oil pastel
The window of time has hit... I see summer breaks as my 'opportunity' to get in learning opportunities for the kids. However, they see it as time to take a break! They want to lounge and relax and recuperate and play, but I have a host of trips and lessons for them. Actually, they like the trips part, and some of the learning is fun for them, too, but they just aren't feeling, well, diligent. I know they're right, as I'm sure anyone would agree, but they just seem too busy all school year, and this is finally our "chance". So, I'm trying to find that balance. They deserve their "break", but I'm honestly thinking of making up schedules for us! I would, if I were a bit more diligent myself!One of my priority 'lessons' is a typing course, believe it or not. Yes, I know they seem far too young, but, actually, I think it's important. Alex took the same typing course and didn't quite finish it a couple of summers ago, and it helped him tremendously. Problem is, the school throws them on the computers all the time. Not only will the typing help facilitate that, but having them go through the course now will prevent them from developing incorrect habits.
I very reluctantly took a typing course in high school. I thought it was a terrible waste of my time beforehand, and I scoffed when I heard teachers and such recommend it as the #1 most important class to take. I only took it because nothing else fit in my schedule (which I always crammed as full as possible!). It didn't take long for me to join the ranks of the typing class fans.
So, the kids have a Disney CD-Rom of The Lion King's Timon & Pumba Typing Course, and I am tickled to see them learning to type so quickly. Of course, it's Alex's second go-round, and I'm hoping he'll get to the numbers this time, which I'm sure he will. I am firmly convinced that the 'time' spent on this quick typing course will save vast amounts of time in the future--even the near future. Alex, in fact, bragged to me this past school year about typing 600 words when his other smart classmates only had 60--of course, I get NO credit for coordinating it all for him and having him do the course...but that's beside the point (sigh). Fiona's already expressed frustration with having to type out stuff at school for presentations and reports (in 2nd grade...ridiculous!). I think failing to give the kids a typing course first is a huge oversight by the school, but at least my own kids will be on their game there. Given that they, especially Fiona, seem to be rather slow, methodical workers, they need every time advantage they can get!We do have some trips planned, and the makeshift 'recital' during my mother's church's potluck at the end of the month (for which they need to practice, but are resisting!).Oh, here's a weird one...I don't know why, but I feel this pressure to go BOWLING this summer. Truly, it's this sort of weird combination of the fact that Alex had expressed an interest in this expensive summer camp for bowling, and my profound love of a good deal. The bowling alley has a 'kids' bowl free' summer deal, and I signed them up along with Michael and myself, for a small fee. After realizing how expensive shoe rentals are (when bowling frequently it adds up), we ordered some bowling shoes. Now, I feel this sense of commitment to go bowling frequently to justify the shoe purchase! It is fun, but I'm not sure, sometimes, where my prioritization processes get their logic. I don't see bowling a important to their well-being in any way, even as exercise! I guess I'll just chalk it up as a 'good opportunity'! I'm sure if it stops being fun, we'll stop going (and we've actually only gone a couple of times so far).
So...there is a lot more! I've been delinquent on pool trips, but I do try always to spend a good bit of time in the pool during the summer. Important for exercise and water safety skills--and just an important summertime activity for kids. We've been a bit, and I'd like to make it much more regular.Fiona and I have just started an 'art course' of sorts. I bought several books in a series with various projects. We began the 'pastel' book, using our oil pastels. I'm thrilled with our first project, a sunset. It was so easy and turned out so great (in my opinion, at least!), though I thought a little more blending would be nice in the sky colors. Alex is not so interested in art, but Fiona loves it, and I've felt as though I haven't given her the opportunities with visual arts as I have with music and dance. I've looked at expensive visual art camps for kids, but they tend to be more crafts-oriented than I would like. This course not only saves a lot of money (as compared to camps), but it's an educational opportunity for me, too, as I've never done visual art at all even though I've always wanted to. There are six pastel projects in the book, and the sunset was the easiest. I'm totally intimidated starting at project #3, but we'll see how it goes!Alex has a baseball camp coming up, and Fiona and I'll probably focus on the art projects a lot while he's there. I did wrack my brain about him, though, as I thought I should also do some special project more to his taste, so I think we're going to go through a series of enviro-friendly energy experiments on a 'Green Power House' that he received for Christmas. We started yesterday, but it flopped a bit. Will resume this week...So, yes, I know I sound a bit crazy, but my head is just chock full of all these projects and ideas and trips I haven't even mentioned yet...meanwhile there are a ton of household projects and cleaning that needs a bit of attention (and possibly should supercede in prioritization all other thoughts mentioned here!)
Well, that's where we are right now. Oh, those Egyptian myths have not yet 'grabbed' us, but I hope they 'take' soon. Obviously, there is no novel-writing going on at all. It's hard to even get on the computer! Novel-writing must wait for the fall, and then I hope to blast out another 30-day 'masterpiece', right? :) Truly, though, I am a bit trepidatious about it...I hope I can do it!
Welcome to my blog! I look forward to sharing my family adventures and personal musings with you. I hope this blog helps keep us closer to you, our friends and relatives!
Saturday, July 10, 2010
Summer Activites and Lessons
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment