Thursday, January 7, 2010

New Years 2010 and Alex's upcoming event

Whew...still whirlwind holiday stuff, as we run straight from Christmas to New Year's to Alex's birthday!


With Michael's parents in tow, we all visited my folks in SC for New Year's and came back on Sunday. My mother, who is typically quite reserved and, if I might say so, often a bit spartan, actually adores fireworks. I personally would not bother, but I have to admit that the fireworks activities at New Year's were quite nice. My frugal mother shelled out $150 for those fireworks and thought she'd scored a deal! Perhaps she did...I've no clue what they normally cost! Anyhow, I think it was worth it simply to see her looking so pleased and everyone laughing and enjoying them.


We had a pleasant trip with my family and then came home Sunday evening. Monday was Alex's birthday, and I worked all day on preparing for the nice birthday dinner with Michael's family here at our house. Presents, cake, and family would be enough for his 11th birthday, of course, but now we're preparing for his big birthday party this coming Sunday!

Alex is having a Greek God-themed party. He has always identified with Apollo, god of the sun and music, and Fiona with Athena, goddess of wisdom and strategic planning. Apollo is trimmed in gold, to represent the sun, and Athena wears gray (which we have in her sash, with silver trim accents). After trimming their togas and getting excited about the gold and silver brother-sister combination, Michael pointed out that they are like Josh and Sophie in The Alchemist about Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott. The brother and sister have special golden and silver auras, respectively. Of course I get excited about the analogies!

Tuesday was dedicated to the somewhat belated invitations, of which I am so proud! They were a combined labor by Michael and me, and we printed them on parchment-style paper, tied with gold rope or ribbon (once the rope had run out!).

Yesterday was dedicated to the kids' costumes, and I have achieved a new level of personal craftiness (hmm, should that be craftliness?). I'll have to post pics of my cuties in their gold and silver-trimmed togas on Sunday! Today and tomorrow are supposed to be cleaning days (since I'm foolishly having the party here at our house), so of course I'm on the computer instead of cleaning! Icky, ucky cleaning... Fiona will sit down and cry at times when I tell her to clean her room, and, frankly, I'm the same way!

Anyhow, I'm in the home stretch...after Alex's birthday party I can relax! A bit, anyhow, though our January weekends are booked!

No comments: