Friday, January 22, 2010

More Genetic Analysis...

Michael's mother, Elaine, just received back her genetic analysis, and we're baffled! She shows a bunch of Eastern European genes that showed up much more faintly on Michael's chart. She has a northern Portuguese blip, but not nearly so strong as his--and she has NO British or Irish markers. Peculiar!
I did double check the specific genes, and Michael did inherit a matching gene from each one tested. I sort of wonder if all the British mixed with the Eastern European and her blip of real Portuguese to make him look much more authentically Portuguese than either Eastern European or British alone! Can't wait to test his Dad and see how it all meshes out! Perhaps his dad has his own set of Spanish/Portuguese markers!
Anyhow, I suspect that, while the technical markers seem to be accurately identified, there may be too few tested to give completely 'true' results on our countries of origin, especially for us Americans with greatly mixed heritages. However, Elaine obviously must have some Eastern European origins, which showed up on both her and Michael's profiles.

No comments: