Monday, January 25, 2010

The House is My Heart's Desire...for now!

Ramshackle, it seems at first glance. The paint peels away from the columns and siding, and weeds and bushes envelope the screened-in porch. Michael and I were taking a stroll through the quiet town of Greeleyville, SC, the birthplace of my Granny and Grandaddy and many an ancestor, when we spied this seemingly abandoned home.

I exclaimed in delight as I took it in. A gorgeous big porch, a carport that was likely a buggy-port originally, a screened-in side porch whose overgrowth simply gave it a sheltered and slightly tropical feel... The front door has a glass handle, and there is another screened-in side porch in the rear of the house just off the kitchen, complete with a screened-in protruding shelf for cooling pies, as Michael explained! The home is utterly messy, dusty, and enchanting.

I have been so sad to see my grandparents and others of their generation make 'improvements' to their lovely old homes. They have lowered their cathedral ceilings and closed-in the fabulous screened-in porches. I used to harbor a secret hope that I would one day inherit my grandparent's home, but this dream fizzled slowly as I sadly witnessed the continuing alterations that they have made... When Michael and I spotted this home, though, empty and neglected thought it may be, my heart beat faster and I gushed with enthusiasm. It is even grander and more historic than my grandparents' home...AND it has a second story. It is a beautiful old home without any of the unfortunate alterations. After some time, Michael noticed a for sale sign by the main road, and we found out that the house is being offered for only $60,000. If only...

Anyhow, I have enough trouble with maintenance on my own modern, current home, and I have witnessed how others have exhausted their every vacation on maintaining second homes. I hope that someone else comes along and buys and restores the beautiful old home, though it seems as though the real eventuality is that it will be bulldozed to create a strip mall along that main road at some point, as the neighboring land is being sold as commercial real estate.

No comments: