Correlations are so fun! I just found out that Handel (you know, the Christmastime Messiah music...) was employed as court composer by George I--supposedly my ancestor. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not totally clear on all the distinctions between country names and titles. The Hanoverian heir to the English throne would be correct, I suppose, when he was still in, um, Germany? Was it Germany then? Anyhow, neat story...Handel talked the future George I into allowing him to travel to London, in preparation for their time in England. Once Handel got there, he didn't want to go home. Apparently, Handel was quite the sociable, cosmopolitan fella. When George I finally inherited the throne and came to England, Handel was so worried about the fallout from his extended stay in London that he composed the Water Music Suite to appease him. Not only did it appease him, but George I doubled his salary!
Hmm...curious there, isn't it, that George I is heir, sends his lackey to England, then soon inherits the throne and subsequently DOUBLES the lackey's salary? Hmm! Alternate plot screaming out there! :)
Hmm...curious there, isn't it, that George I is heir, sends his lackey to England, then soon inherits the throne and subsequently DOUBLES the lackey's salary? Hmm! Alternate plot screaming out there! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment