Given my recent blog about 'service folks', I thought I'd mention something that illustrates my avoidance of such. It's not just avoidance of them for money's sake, truly! I see going to them as a hassle, as time-wasting, etc., if I can just take care of things myself! It's certainly not because I have control issues, either, right? ;)
Anyhow, I've been cutting my family's hair forever, but my own hair has typically been taken care of by a professional, though I'd taken to putting on the coloring myself, generally, when my long-standing hairdresser moved away (and we'd been operating on a barter system!). Anyhow, this week marked an advent, though. For the first time, I had Fiona cut my hair! She was very nervous, but I assured her that if she messed up it would grow out again, and I could always get it fixed at a salon. Well...I think she did a pretty great job! After she finished, I cut her hair, too, of course. I'll have to get a pic to add to this blog, I guess! So, I'm tickled to be able to avoid yet another service person. Michael takes care of virtually all home and car maintenance, and I do what I can...now Fiona's in on it--and she's excited about it. You know, a lot of these projects are actually fun when they're only occasional chores! And there's a bit of satisfaction in our work and pride in our artistry that comes from projects like home remodeling and haircutting!
Another fringe benefit is that mistakes don't gnaw at you like they do when others make them--somehow, I can deal with my own incompetence better than I can deal with a paid professional's! All that said, though, I am incredibly grateful that there are service folks out there--I have NO plans to reshingle the roof myself, spray for termites, etc.!
No comments:
Post a Comment