Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Etiquette Schmetiquette

Alors!  I have been studying French with an eye to the language only, but culture seeps in through the dialogue, of course.  Unfortunately, I have the continually disconcerting reaction to the dialogue, in which actions are continually perceived as rude which seem just fine and normal to me!  It's a very uncomfortable feeling, and, Zut!, I just don't like squirming in my seat like that!  It's probably a good education for me, though, I suppose...and I wonder about whether the etiquette pertains more to class distinctions than to foreign culture.  I suppose the argument can be made that different classes are rather a foreign culture, eh?  Whew...  Perhaps it doesn't happen all that often, actually.  I do tend to be a wee bit sensitive, right?  Today's issue had to do with a girl's mother getting stranded while out doing errands when her car breaks down.  Her call for help was seen as an imposition, which bothered me--having been in that situation before.  The perception seemed to be 'get a taxi, lady!'  Yes, I know it puts folks out to get those calls, but isn't that what family's for?  However, I suppose perhaps a slightly more affluent class sees hired help as a part of life. 

In my course of study, there's also simply the constant chat with concierges and a huge variety of service folks, which is simply not part of my own life very often--and I'm rather stricken with the feeling, 'I can't afford to learn French!'  Of course, maybe those feelings will quell if I ever do visit France, as of course I'll have to deal with those 'service' folks continually.  As it is, though, I rather freak whenever a valet is involved in any event.  I don't know what to do here, in America, when speaking English!!!  I'll be a lost puppy in France and utterly dumbfounded, whether or not I know the words!

No comments: