Saturday, August 7, 2010

Energy

I've been thinking about energy lately, and my relative lack of it. Always. No, I don't think there's anything 'wrong' with me, it's my genetic state. I'm pretty darn exuberant next to much of my family, but I have always needed a lot of sleep and down time relative to friends.

No point to this, except to say that I admire you amazing individuals who can go-go-go. I can 'go' for a couple of days, occasionally, but I blink in amazement at the folks who get back from a busy trip one day and jump straight into work, etc.--constantly!

I was chatting with a particularly energetic friend this past week. She has twin two-year-old girls. She takes them to the beach, then to the gym (where she works out while they're in daycare), then home for lunch and a nap. They then generally go to the pool in the afternoon. The thing is, she's also doing all the 'mom' things and keeping a clean house meanwhile. The girls go to a Montessori preschool two mornings per week--and does she recuperate during that time? Nope--she works part-time. What lucky little girls to have such an energetic mom!

When I was in JROTC camp for just a week after my junior year of high school, the camp counselors tortured us by waking us during the night to make us clean and such. I was miserable, mostly because of exhaustion. I started to fall asleep during classes and such by the end of the week, and my fellow campers commiserated with me. However, when we finally were allotted a two-hour break on the last day, all that I wanted to do was collapse in my bunk and sleep. My bunkmate, Samantha, a friend from school, had been through the same grueling week, and she was appalled at me. We finally had time for fun and I wanted to sleep? She had zero sympathy and actually kept me from sleeping--and I still remember and hold a grudge, 19 years later!

Samantha was a gorgeous, vibrant, energetic black girl that I really felt flattered and honored to befriend. I can honestly say that I could not keep up with her enthusiasm, energy, optimism, and generosity (except regarding my sleep needs!). We went shopping during that precious two hour time, and I know I was less than perfect company for her!

Anyhow, there are numerous, numerous examples of amazingly energetic folks out there who have earned my respect. Kudos to you all for having such energy!

There's a fantastic episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer where a young psychiatrist-newly turned vampire psychoanalyzes Buffy before she stakes him. They periodically stopped fighting to chat, and the fighting was 'nothing personal', just the nature of things. In the episode, he surmises that Buffy has an inferiority complex about having a superiority complex. I just loved the whole thing.

Anyhow, I think I loved it partly because I identified a bit with it. I do have an incredibly high opinion of myself in so many ways, and I then feel a need to identify all those ways that I am not up-to-par. So, here's one. My energy levels are less-than-average. I did have a super-busy day yesterday again, but that's sporadic at best. I need lots of down time, and days like that make me realize how incredibly productive I'd be if I could keep going like that all the time--which just ain't gonna happen. You fabulous people who can keep going and get a zillion things done, every single day, can justifiably feel proud and, if necessary, rub my nose in it when I'm getting too uppity.

Hope you have a wonderful, productive day!

1 comment:

Michael A. Ard-Kelly said...

I think that you have just the right amount of energy. I love you just exactly the way that you are!