Friday, August 6, 2010

Eco-friendly lawnmower







I'm still a bit nervous about it, but our trial run last night with the new lawnmower was too fantastic. It's a 'reel' lawnmower, which is completely man-powered, or child-powered, as last night proved! The thing was easier to push than our old gas-powered lawnmower, and Fiona happily ran with it over the grass. It was so fun to see the little grass clippings feeding from the blades, as they're open to view. The mower is very quiet, with just a constant 'swish' noise, sort of like scissors (as one reviewer commented, 'sounds like Edward Scissorhands').


Despite the initial impression, I'm still dubious, and of course wondering if the thing will stay in easy-to-operate mode. Also, there's no reverse operation, only forward. The blades stop when you pull it back, which is probably a safety thing.


As green as my inclinations are, I've seen too many impossibly dysfunctional products and listened to far too many 'green' opinions--like the idea that stains on our clothes are okay. No, they're not! Okay, that's a digression. So, even though I am theoretically green, practicality comes first in my life. But I have to say that this little lawnmower that Michael talked me into seems completely fabulous. No gas, no noise, no pollution...more compact, easy to push, and cheaper! Oh, it's a Scott's 20" reel lawnmower. Let us state for the record that Alex promised to always cut our grass if we'd get the green machine (though he's never, ever cut grass before!). We'll see!

1 comment:

Michael A. Ard-Kelly said...

Has Alex cut grass with it yet? Maybe you should put him on the back yard.