Alex impressed me yesterday. Not that he planned or wanted to, but out of sheer practicality and common sense, he showed some newfound maturity.
We were at Fiona's taekwondo class, and, for the first time ever there, without being told and without my even being aware of it, Alex started working on his homework. I only knew about it because he came to me in frustration with a question about it.
When I praised him for his self-direction and maturity in starting it on his own, he scowled and brushed off my praise, citing his very practical reasons for needing to go ahead and work on it.
On the way home, knowing full well he was still doing his homework, I asked if we could turn on our current audio CD's--InkSpell by Cornelia Funke. Alex grumpily retorted, "No, I really need to focus on finishing this worksheet." Fiona wasn't too happy about that, but she had her ever present artwork to keep her occupied. Honestly, I was as disappointed as Fiona, but how can you refuse to allow your kid to focus on his homework on the rare occasion that he wants to? Oh well, I guess I've got to try to be almost as mature as my 9-year-old...
See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life. See Now
No comments:
Post a Comment