Monday, October 6, 2008

Overwhelming Pride

I've always been a parent who idealized the idea of trying to allow my children space to make their own decisions. Alex is very independent, and he operates within our structure on his own. He's such a boy! He's doing quite well, though, and I am very proud of him.

Fiona, however, has taken to heart my goals and objectives for her. She tries so hard to be as good as she can, and she cares so much! It's incredibly endearing, and my maternal pride is busting at the seams nonstop! She doesn't do it just to please me, but she absorbs my goals and attitudes and makes them her own, with a formidable strength of mind and drive!

Anyhow, I suppose I'm trying to find a balance. You know, to try to avoid living vicariously. The harder she strives, the more tempting it is! I found myself yesterday making plans for her to eventually play the flute, which is what I did when I was eleven. Not that there's anything wrong with it, but I don't want to saddle her with my life!

At the same time, it's our job as parents to try to provide opportunities to our children, so I do get excited about her having violin lessons and taekwondo classes and such!

I suppose it's okay to be proud as long as we try to maintain some detachment and refrain from forming too many hopeful expectations, which pop up more and more frequently, the more Fiona shows her willingness to strive towards my own favored objectives! Regardless of my logic here, I do feel like I have a perfect little girl. She's kind, caring, perceptive, funny, athletic, sweet, loving, artistic, intelligent, and beautiful. Can I really be expected to temper my pride? :)

1 comment:

Toni W said...

HI guys! I love reading about your live and how the kids are doing. Wish I could see you more.

Toni