Friday, October 10, 2008

The Corkeys--the new New Yorkers



I've been missing Pamela Corkey and her son Oscar since they moved to New York over the summer. Pam was a breath of fresh air for me, and Oscar and my kids were starting to really hit it off.
Pam seems to exist in a state of continual search for maximum self-honesty and truth. She asked once, "why would anyone settle?" and I answered, "for sanity!"...but I so appreciate her unwillingness to settle and live 'in a box'!
Pamela is an utterly fascinating person to me. Her house was full of unique and interesting items. Her career in teaching film and her book-writing, both entrenched in dark humor, fill her days. Conversations with Pam tend to jump straight to the depths of my soul! She validates my perceptions and challenges my assumptions on life.
Pamela is one of those people who really experiences life with unsurpassed intensity. She feels life's changes with an excruciating awareness, but she is fearless about making almost any change that feels resonant and true. I worry about her seeming lack of short-term self-preservation there, but she expects great strength from herself and therefore delivers!
Pamela has two sons--tall Milo, who is fairly grown and independent, and Oscar, who Pamela adopted at birth and with whom she has an incredible bond and understanding. They have a quirky, playful banter and interaction that makes Pamela's intensity more manageable for Oscar, I think...
Anyway, I'm happy for Pam finding a happier home in New York. She feels more comfortable in the city life there, with all of the cultural opportunities and progressive attitudes. I, too, can relate to her desire for those things--which is part of why I miss her so much here in Savannah! It was so refreshing to spend time with her!
Good Luck to Pam and Oskey in NY!

No comments: