I was in a domestic mood tonight and made some applesauce muffins! Of course, I made two different batches--one wheat-free for Alex.
After becoming interested in my neighbor Angela's copy, I recently bought the cookbook Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld, and it was fun to try one of her 'tricks' to increase veggie consumption in her picky kids. The muffin recipes incorporated applesauce and carrot puree.
The thought struck me that I end up changing recipes so much that I could record my own cookbook, completely based on others' recipes! I substitute so many ingredients! I really like the recipes mainly to provide a basic idea, especially with regards to spices and bases and such.
For example, I generally substitute ground flax seed for eggs in baking recipes, simply to increase fiber, decrease cholesterol, and increase beneficial fatty acids. Oh, and yes, studies have shown that the fatty acids are still beneficial, despite being exposed to oven heat! The flax meal acts like glue, practically! I've been a big fan of the flax meal since I first read about it probably 10 years ago (very helpful in my vegan days!). The substitution for one egg is 1 tbsp flax seed. Grind the flax seed in a coffee grinder, then combine with 3 tbsp water and let congeal for at least one minute before adding to the recipe. I keep my flax seeds in the freezer, as I generally don't bake that much and the oils tend to go rancid quickly if not kept there.
Then, of course, I make other substitutions, as Fiona and I avoid dairy and Alex stays away from gluten. I sometimes wonder how close my end product turns out compared to the intended recipe! Maybe it is different enough that no one would have a clue! I suppose cookbooks 'inspire' my creations, really. Michael's always teased me that I won't even set the microwave for the exact time that is recommended. I have to switch everything up!
Occasionally the switches actually don't work out so well. For example, soymilk just won't make decent pudding! At least, not as a straight substitution!
There's a sweet potato soup recipe that I occasionally make for the kids that calls for a cashew creamy base. I pureed the soup, as the kids dislike chunks of veggies, and I substituted peanut butter for the cashew butter and had a big hit with the kids! We have peanut butter soup now and then, which doesn't really resemble the original recipe all that much!
I suppose everyone does that, eh? I wonder how many people don't alter their creations based on convenience and preference? It's fun to realize that cookbooks are largely just variations on each other, though, and that our own variations actually can stand as independent recipes!
See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are part of your life. See Now
No comments:
Post a Comment