Saturday, July 26, 2008

PRK for Michael

He did it! Michael went to LasikPlus and had his procedure done today! He actually went with the tried-and-true (i.e., outdated) PRK method:). It really sounds pretty good--instead of creating a corneal flap, they abrade the eye's surface. It's a little more sore during the healing process, but there will never be an issue with the 'flap' coming loose. This is the preferred method for boxers, police officers, scuba divers, etc. I didn't realize when I heard about it that it's actually less expensive than Lasik--not more so. I passed over it, thinking that I didn't really need that, primarily due to an attempt to avoid extra cost. As the predecessor to Lasik, it is very well established and safe, theoretically.
I observed the entire procedure, as anyone can. The surgery room has entirely glass walls, with a viewing area to sit down. They don't serve popcorn, but they do offer tea and coffee from a quite state-of-the-art brewing machine! Anyway, it was very interesting to watch, and the laser aimer was quite reminiscent of a video game--a bit scary, too, as you see it subtly move around by the surgeon's hand! Dr. Campen, my surgeon, also performed Michael's procedure. The optometrist informed us that he generally has 4 espresso shots each morning before surgery--which may explain the bouncing leg a bit! She also said that he's the most meticulous surgeon that she's ever worked with, which was comforting to hear!
Michael is sleeping downstairs at the moment. I'm glad he has a quiet afternoon to rest. It is a bit exhausting!

No comments: