Friday, August 26, 2011

Real, professional, official author!

So, my books have been out on Amazon and B&N for just a bit, but they're terribly hidden and I haven't really tried at all to market them.  However, my sweet hubby has posted a notice about them on his workplace door, which I squirm a little at--given that they have nothing to do with healthcare in the least and aren't necessarily part of that 'professional' image a clinic should try to convey.  He and a couple of friends have also posted my link to Silk on FB, but otherwise not much else has been done as of this point.

Marketing and sales are not my strong suit.  Nor do I have even a remote interest in that realm (beyond doing what needs to be done--sort of like cleaning my house!  Ugh!).  My wish is that some big bookseller's agent will be purusing the e-books--I'd like to imagine this is now standard protocol, though I hear they have more than enough direct submissions to keep them busy forever--and that this sage and wonderful gentleman will come across my books whilst I'm finishing Homespun.  He'll make me a fabulous, gracious offer and Silk will be published in hard cover en masse just as I'm finishing up with Homespun.  I'll be raking in the big bucks and fan letters in no time!  Sounds good, doesn't it?  A girl can hope! 

Anyhow, just thought I'd put that out there.  I suppose I'm a bit of a believer in The Secret, a somewhat silly and simple book about the concept that we get what we clearly wish for.  I don't buy it wholeheartedly, but I think there is a grain of truth to the idea.  Can't hurt, right? 

So, back to the point of this blog entry!  I've heard responses from a couple of readers--complete strangers who voluntarily bought and read Silk.  Actually, one has read both and is eagerly awaiting book #3, whilst the other has recommended Silk to a couple of friends and plans to buy and read Tapestry.  Woohoo!  What if it were just that easy?  If word of mouth spreads like wildfire, and my books make it 'just like that'?  Actually, credit goes to Michael for both--one from his FB post and the other from the flyer on his door.  Still, they don't know me and were under no pressure whatsoever to purchase or respond to my books--unlike my own family and friends, who have a personal interest (and pressure) regarding the whole matter! 

Anyhow, my point is that I was sort of a 'real' author, I suppose, already--in that I had written a couple of books.  But when unknown folks buy and read your books of their own accord, and they eagerly await the opportunity to buy more...then, well, that makes me a bonafide professional, official author, doesn't it? 

I suppose that first itty-bitty royalty check (virtual in this day and age...sigh) and perhaps a good ol' bound, printed copy in the store will be my next steps towards feeling like a pro.  Lots to look forward to--hopefully fairly soon!

No comments: