Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Encore a la Francais

So, I have again plunged into the study of the French language. Plunge, I say? Nah, more like wet my toes. I’ve touched on it a couple of times in the past, but I’ve always really wanted to do it—to really learn French, or any foreign language really, fluently. Perhaps you already have learned one well. I do know a little Spanish, from three years in Junior High and High School and then two semesters in college. And I value that, truly, though I’ve never been close to fluent.

I’ve always dreamt of living abroad and really immersing myself in a foreign culture. One day I may still. I mean, I still have half of my active lifespan left, right? Maybe? And, Lordy, think of all that I’ve already gotten to do in my life! I actually did live in Germany for six years of my life when I was really young and did learn just a few words of German. Of course, we lived in an American community and my folks didn’t have any grand aspirations to experience the German culture—darn it—so I actually will have a bit more say in this last half of my life and will be able to direct the experiences more to suit my personal taste. At the moment (and, thus far, always), that includes the notion of future foreign travel and culture immersion.

Of course, that’s an expensive proposition, and the likelihood of funding such an expedition is questionable. However, if I were in such a fortunate situation, I would like to be prepared, and I’m certainly able to do that, right? So, I’m engaging, for a time, in the ‘study’ of the French language.

We’ll see how this goes come next week. My enthusiasm can suddenly lose steam completely, which is a disconcerting and disappointing development, but I wouldn’t do a whole lot with myself if I just waited forever to see if it holds out, right? Besides…it’s not totally wasted. I think tidbits here and there do build, if not as neatly as in a more structured study.

So, yes, I’m dying to tell you what I’ve been doing to study French, besides the ‘Learn French Together’ course with Fiona. Oh, we made ‘maracas’ yesterday, which we decorated with flags from French-speaking countries. Not all of them…oh no! I had no idea how many countries have French as their official language. I counted about twenty, and I’m sure there are probably more… It should serve us well if we are ever to go on safari in Africa. Now, wouldn’t that be fabulous?! Oh, we did learn a few French words with our activity, too. It’s such a cute, engaging course—totally unlike anything I’d normally bother with, but totally to my little girl’s taste.

I’ve also re-downloaded an old French CD-ROM that I’ve had forever. I did once learn to count in French and to speak some introductory phrases with that CD, which has sample videos of conversations and a not-very-good meter to listen to you say words back. It’s nice to contrast the recording of your own voice with the sample voice, anyhow, though. However, I’ve only downloaded it at this point and am just hoping that I will put it to use.

I did sort of drop the Pimsleur Conversational French CDs once Fiona and I began the Living Language children’s course. One can only do so much, but I do mean to get back to them. Those CDs are just on hold for now.

I’m happy about my progress, honestly, so long as I’m engaged in some form of study of the language. I figure that structure doesn’t matter as much as consistency. Variety will only cement it, right? Honestly, it does…when I hear a word or phrase from a different source, it tends to verify the importance of the word in my mind, which is a bit silly, right? But not so silly…it’s hard to know the frequency with which other words are employed, as they’re not always the same as in English.

So…back to my ‘exciting’ venue of French study...I have been watching Buffy, the Vampire Slayer. Yep, that’s right! Buffy, Xander, Willow, and Giles are teaching me French. What have I learned from them? Well, they don’t spell it for me, so it’s entirely phonetic, but I certainly get a lot of ‘de cor’ (sp?) for ‘of course’ and ‘Alors’ for ‘well’ and ‘so’ and, honestly, the filler words are the ones I catch most! Those and the greetings. But I do fancy that I’m absorbing little bits and get excited about recognizing and deciphering the occasional bit of conversation. I have high hopes!

I’m watching the French dubbing with English subtitles, and, meanwhile, I’m trying to get back into working out on my elliptical. My exercise has gone to pot this summer, and I’m really a total blob. I’m hoping that I’ll be super-efficient and get my French study and exercise and entertainment in this next school year all at the same time, in the same hour, so that I can still have adequate time to be mommy and author and self-indulgent lazy-bones (always a priority), too. I’m still hoping to continue the course with Fiona, too, but perhaps on a weekly basis or so, if she’s not too overwhelmed with school and her other extracurricular activities. We’ll see how it all goes. Big plans, right? But plans really do help us in carrying out our goals.

You know, all this talk leads me to the basic question of ‘why?’ I’ve always had that question. With so many important issues in this world, with so many home tasks that need attention, why do we bother with foreign languages, art, and music? Reading and writing of novels, too, for that matter? I suppose the best answer that I’ve heard goes something like this—after our basic needs are met, art is what makes life enjoyable. Well, art and friendship, I suppose. Hmm, I suppose I’d better not think too hard about it, so I’ll just leave it at that before I confuse myself completely! Time to go work on some of those home tasks…

No comments: