Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Music Theory Drill and Sewing and Math and all manner of subjects!

Summer is racing towards its end, here in our household.  School starts back in a mere two and a half weeks, and there's still so much to do!
This week marks a special, planned time that Fiona and I have been talking about since before the school year ended.  I promised to sew with her--and we have been this week, to my great relief!  Yes, I get a little worked up over meeting expectations.  Poor thing is tuckered out, though. 
I actually gave her a small, inexpensive sewing machine that I bought years ago and found to be too light-duty to really work well for me--though I didn't realize that jeans were considered pretty heavy duty material.  Anyhow, it occurred to me that the lightweight fabrics involved in making dresses for her dolls would probably work well for the machine, and we pulled it out tonight.  In retrospect, I wish I'd waited a bit for that, as she already was excited about so many things and it was almost just added confusion for her...  She worked on a fashion doll-sized mannequin today to design and hand-sew a doll dress.  The machine is complicated and she was already having plenty of fun...  Oh well, hindsight is so clear...
Thus far, we've mended and altered a few things, in addition to making that doll dress.  Michael very cleverly brought an eye pillow with quite ornate Chinese designs and, with a few snips of the scissors, fashioned a cheepo (sp?), one of those Chinese silky dresses, for a Barbie!  It was quite funny, but Fiona thought it was brilliant!  It was a great idea, actually.
Somehow, I've created a situation, however, in that it takes us forever to get to the sewing.  I'm not sure if it's because I've planned too many other things, if it's because we're a household of ADD (nope, not hyper)-inflicted birdbrains, or if it's simply because I haven't established a set routine.  Maybe all three, given that the ADD thought covers pretty much everything else that consumes our time!
Perhaps I do expect too much....  My most ambitious summer learning goal for the kids is actually in realm of music theory.  See, the school year is so very busy and exhausting that, beyond basic piano practice, I don't feel like I can require too much more of the kids in the realm of extra academics.  Therefore, summer is generally my turn to 'school' the kids a bit.  This summer, I chose to focus on Music Theory in the form of supplemental workbooks that are part of their John Thompson's Piano Course.
Okay, time to digress, as we've arrived at one of my particularly favorite topics--one that I may have already bent your ears about?  Anyhow, I'll do it again!  John Thompson was a genius.  That is--a genius at putting together this piano course, at least.  I've learned from various courses in different instruments over the years, and nothing comes close to comparing with Thompson's method.  He manages to choose the most beautiful music for nearly every lesson.  Other courses, I swear, seem to have the attitude that this is all sheer tedium--just rough training for the day when you'll hopefully be able to play something pretty.  Thompson, however, always treats the students to something that will be a treat to listen to, no matter the difficulty.  It must be no small feat, given the number of dull, uninspired courses out there.  You know, I find it sad that so many other courses are so popular, as I've always been sorry to waste my time in looking at them.  Thompson's method has been out since the 1930's.  I suppose longevity alone attests to the method's greatness, right?  You know, I guess the other criticism is that the method moves too quickly.  It does require a lot of practice and quick progression, but, you know, since I'm teaching the kids, they go at their own pace.  Both are still only in Grade #2 book, despite having played for several years... No, that doesn't sound very impressive, but I'm completely tickled that they both sound quite pleasant to listen to as they practice.  I've posted Fiona playing Change by Carrie Underwood--no, not part of the method :)--so you can see that they've learned quite a lot, despite the low grade level.  There are only 5 grades, actually, and I personally barely got into the grade 4 book, oh-so-many years ago.  Not that I was all that great--really.  I've only ever wished to play piano well.  I like to think that I can make pretty music, and I have some lovely 'easy' piano music, but I am quite comfortable teaching the kids.  In fact, I find that some of the best teachers are those who don't have fathomless skills, but who understand the difficulties and complexities that beginners have.  I have a pretty solid foundation in basic music theory, so I see myself sort of like the chubby, out-of-shape track coach--someone who can teach far above their own skill level!  The kids haven't quite surpassed me yet, but I'm eagerly anticipating that day, which is on the horizon.  At some point, I suspect I'll suddenly realize that they would benefit from a more advanced teacher.  Another year or two after that, I'll finally take that step!  Maybe!  But for now, it's far more economical and comfortable for our schedules for me to teach them.

This is interesting and affirming--in taking a quick detour from blogging, I 'searched' for info about John Thompson's Modern Course for the Piano.  I've been baffled that more isn't posted online about it, but I did find a site that ranked piano methods in order of popularity, and this course was,  in fact, the most popular.  Gratifying to see!  Of course, come to think of it, perhaps they're referring to total sales since the 1930's! :)

Hmm...amazing how tangents can blossom, isn't it?  Let's see...I think I was trying to say that this summer is the Theory Drill Book focus.  There are 3 workbooks for them to get through, each.  They seem relatively simple, so I've asked each of them to do about 4 pages per day (that's only 2 sheets, front and back).  Now, you'd think that I'd asked them to write a term paper every day, given the amount of time and hemming and hawing and all such that goes on.  And, you know, they keep me engaged the entire time that they're working on it, in general.  It's purely exhausting at times.  However, it is satisfying to see their progress. 
Alex is approaching the end of the third workbook, which I've promised is the final workbook for the summer (except when I'm irritated and threatening to order more!).  He's transposing music into different keys and writing it in different octaves and, you know, I don't think he even realizes how awesome it is that he can do those things.  His sight-reading seems to have improved considerably over the summer, and I suspect it's in no small part due to these activities.  
Fiona, on the other hand, is only about half-way done, and I'm not sure if we'll finish this summer.  That's alright, though.  She is three grades behind Alex.
You might suspect a bigger motive behind the theory lessons, and you'd be right.  Not that I'm right, I'll say right off.  I seem to operate under massive misconceptions throughout much of my life, but that's the only way I know how to proceed.  Would that I could see my way clearly!  However, that aside, a prime motivating factor is my hope that Alex might attend Savannah Arts Academy in the piano department.  Now, it will certainly be his choice, and although he expressed a strong interest in that path a few months ago, he's been again inclined towards the film department and communications (i.e., computers) in recent chats.  So, anyhow, I've reviewed the requirements for application and find that he's expected to know and understand a certain amount of theory--minimally the key signatures and scales for the music he's playing, as well as other scales.  Yes, standard piano requirements which I've always sorely neglected, for myself included.  So, given my reluctance to seek and pay for outside lessons (in which I can't know for sure he's getting the essentials, either), I've committed us to this summer of theory focus.  Next summer involves a more in-depth look at scales and chords, as well, to Alex's most certain delight (yes, that's irony).  
You may wonder whether it's worth it to spend the time on all this music theory, especially with Alex's somewhat lackluster attitude.  I do, too.  However, I'm a big believer in progress.  There is no point in spinning in circles.  If we're going to continue the piano lessons--and Alex is certainly a joy to listen to at times--then the point is to progress.  These theory lessons are key to that progress.  
Hmm, I'm afraid I've painted a rather grim picture, but here's where I remind you of the ADD reference.  Alex watched TV, piddled in the kitchen (making a lovely mess for me), played outside for quite some time, and all such before finishing his workbook today.  It was a big day for the piano, as he began a new song, which is always difficult.  Despite the time he'd already spent outside, he was eager to get back out there, and he did shoddy work in his workbook, requiring do-overs and resulting in lectures from me.  By the time we were done, the poor boy was quivering with frustration and could barely stand the sight of me!  He even called me Dolores Umbridge (if you're familiar with the Harry Potter books or movies, you'll understand the severity of that insult!).  You know, I totally get where he's coming from.  I could understand his feelings, and I suggested that maybe, given that he could barely stand me, that he might want to spend the night at his Grammy's.  He jumped at the chance, and I took him over there to his loving Grammy's home--where she promised not to make him do anything at all!   
You know, despite all this, I'll just say that Alex and I get along really well, in general.  He was frustrated today, and I think a break may have been in order, but the real, underlying energy was still loving and supportive--and it was all done in a half-joking way.  He vocalized his protest, but he totally hugged me and was really just fine.  You know, he had a really hard time in the early days of playing the piano, too.  If I let him quit at every little frustration, well, I'm not sure what he'd really stick with beyond the easiest, simplest activities!  I believe it's that he's a perfectionist at heart, and he really dislikes not being able to achieve 'perfect' with the greatest of ease.  It's hard on his ego.
Hmm...which reminds me of that article I read some time back about how we need to praise effort, not success.  Good reminder!  I am certainly wishing to make things smoother and more enjoyable for my wonderful little fella!

As for little Miss Fiona, well, she doesn't seem to be plagued by the self-defeating perfectionist bug that gets her poor big brother.  She has boundless enthusiasm for all sorts of things, and she tackles them all with great confidence in her abilities!  She really does amaze me!
So, Fiona has decided to learn French with me.  What sold her on the idea was the suggestion that we could learn to speak a language that the boys couldn't understand.  It'd be our own little secret language!  We'll see if anything comes of it...we've only been at it a couple of days, and the one phrase that she consistently remembers is, "Je ne compre pas l'Francais"--"I don't understand French."  (Forgive the spelling--it's a conversational French course on CD's only!)  Quite funny!  It's her response to everything!
When Alex came into the kitchen and I greeted him with, "Bonjour!  Comot allez vous?" (sp!)--"Hello!  How are you?"--he asked what that meant.  Before I could respond, Fiona burst out with, "Don't tell him!"  How very funny is that?

So, my little girl completed her piano practice, her four music theory workbook pages, 20 minutes of her Mathshark, her doll dress and sewing camp for today, and an hour of dedicated French practice today!  What a long day we've had...
My sis has recently decided to homeschool, and I have mixed feelings about all that.  I adore my alone time.  I love to write, and I'm always glad when the kids learn really fantastic stuff from other people.  However, I also like to see the progress that we make when I work with them directly.  I swear, it does seem like so much of their time gets wasted.  Alex has been spinning his wheels in math forever--it's a darn shame.  I like it that we don't while away their time and waste it with repetitive, pointless, redundant, overly-simplistic work.  So, yep, I've had that homeschooling bug always, and, frankly, this is how I express it.  I take the opportunities to supplement, and I do accept some compromises.  Maybe if I'd thought about it a little harder, or I'd known how things were going to turn out, I wouldn't have--but it's not too bad.  I've explained to every single one of Alex's Montessori teachers about his incredible mathematical potential and abilities, and I've been incredibly disappointed time and again that they haven't really addressed it (though Montessori is supposed to be about meeting each child's potential).  Some have tried a bit, but he's basically breezed by with nary a challenge in that realm, and I'm sad to say he's not met any truly advanced mathematical concepts as of this point.  My fault, that.  I mean, really--he was up to pre-algebra at age four and is approximately that level now.  A darn shame.  That said, I've offered to work with him, and he's turned down the idea.  Just as, when he expressed that he was looking forward to his daily Spanish class this fall, I offered to get him the Pimsleur Conversational Spanish CDs and he deftly and unhesitatingly refused.  Mr. Alex has learned the hard way that he must protect his free time with an iron hand!
So, in contrast to Fiona's litany of activities today, Alex only had piano practice and music theory workbook--both mandated by me with no option to decline.  See?  It's a balance!  I don't cram his schedule full to the brim, but I do expect some things from him. 
Fiona's Mathshark work, by the way, has simply to do with the fact that she's a slow, methodical worker.  Her only real issue thus far at school has been in completing her work plans, and I'm hoping that this time spent on her multiplication tables will help make her work more manageable this fall--and she was excruciatingly slow at her math (which affects those timed aptitude tests as well).  So, while I was terribly reluctant to impress any of those basic subjects on her during the summer, I felt this was worthwhile, if it can help her school year be more manageable.  I do regret the need, though.

No, this hasn't been our whole summer.  Camps and trips to South Carolina and all such have peppered our summer so that we haven't spent any consistent amount of time at home.  Next week?  The kids and I will be in Orlando for water parks and Cirque du Soleil and such!  Michael will hold down the fort here--much to his relief (as he hates crowds and theme parks)!  
You know, the school year is just as relentlessly crazy and varied.  Once it starts, there's no stopping it.  Holidays and activities and all just roll on, one by one--so fast I can hardly catch my breath (much less write a book) in between! 

No comments: