Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Lexile Measurement for Silk

Most recently, the schools have converted to 'lexile measurements' as a standardized way of measuring reading difficulty.  I've been checking on the levels for my kids' books, as the schools have requested that their summer reading remain within the parameters of their tested reading levels.  Fiona's pretty much able to read anything, but Alex has a hard time finding good books at his level.  Anyhow...I was surprised to see a feature on the Lexile website with which you can measure the lexile for articles and such, so I checked part of Silk's first chapter (1000 word limit on the measurement).  By the way, I felt the first chapter was pretty light reading...  I was hoping to achieve higher than a third-grade reading level (any lower would just be embarrassing) and optimally somewhere between 6th to 11th grade levels, where most of my own preferred reading falls--Harry Potter, Nancy Farmer's books, Isabel Allende's stuff...  So, I was a little appalled to get a 1340, which is college level!  I really, really did not mean to write something at the difficulty of a college text, but my comfort lies in the fact that there are anomalies.  For example, Lemony Snicket's 'Series of Unfortunate Events' all lie close to that realm, somehow.  So, slight boost for my ego that my books aren't too basic, but a bit worrisome that they might be cumbersome for the average reader.  They're supposed to be recreational reading, for goodness sakes... 

No comments: