On Saturday morning, Fiona and I went to the farmer’s market in the moderately-sized town of Manning, SC. It's an hour of driving total to and from my folks' rural, tiny hometown for that venture. I returned to make an heirloom tomato salad with red wine vinegar, basil from our garden, and olive oil. I cooked up the field peas from the market and rice. Corn on the cob and squash/zucchini were boiled as sides (I need a steamer basket up here!). For dessert, I put together a mix of blueberries, blackberries and peaches, topped with whipped cream in the bowls. What a feast! I was pretty proud of all that—and it was so nice to be able to feed the whole crew--not only my immediate family, but my folks and sis and her kids--and have my food appreciated. My folks liked it all, whereas my own little crew were pickier, of course. Everything was from the market, except the rice, condiments, and whipped cream.
That expedition was a first up there, but I've become so accustomed to our own farmer's market here that I couldn't stand the thought of not checking out the market there. It boasted only a few booths, but there was quite a decent offering, in my opinion. I ended up with a few other items, including a half-peck (yes, those bags are half-pecks!) of juicy peaches and some home-baked snickerdoodle cookies for Fiona. Now, granted, their market did not feature the organic produce of our market here in Forsythe Park in Savannah. Also, they didn't have eggs, to my disappointment. However, the produce was locally grown and so fresh. And what's the point of food, anyhow?
Actually, that's the point of this blog. I had been wondering if the amount of gas I consumed in driving to the market on Saturdays negated the positive impact that I bestowed by buying locally. Sure, a half-hour drive is nothing compared to the cross-country and even international shipping involved in sending produce to our grocery stores, but they manage to do it in such incredible bulk that I suspect my own gas expenditure is greater. I've heard the argument that we'd drive to the grocery store anyhow, but, actually, it's within a mile of my house and I rarely drive only to go there--I just stop by on the way home from my other outings or, more recently, bike there. So I may very well be adding to global warming with my Saturday morning car treks.
However, that brings me back to my point. The local, seasonal produce is so very fresh and perfect for consumption right now. The flavors are tremendously better than the store produce in a majority of instances (not all, actually--sometimes, occasionally, those monocultured species in the grocery store were selected for taste and not only good shipping durability!), and there's something to be said for supporting the local farmers, the local economy. The more support they have, the more available it will be--and, hopefully, the more it will spread into the mainstream supermarkets. And I won't even begin to discuss the health benefits of fresher produce--not beyond saying that the vitamins and beneficial enzymes begin to break down as soon as the produce is picked, so the fresh offerings are vastly preferable in terms of nutrition.
Truth be told, the farmer's market has also become a scheduled 'fun' outing for the week. The treats, the chat with the farmers as we purchase their produce, the neighborly bustle of the market...it's all so personal and friendly in comparison with the conventional grocery stores, where I'll admit I make a beeline for the self-checkout lines, when they have them. Over time at the farmer's market, you'll look forward to seeing your favorite vendors and will also learn who to avoid (unfortunately, I've found that to be true), so it only gets better with time. Some markets even boast local musicians, making it a sort of weekly fair.
Again, the point here is primarily those tastebuds. I offered a peach to Alex yesterday, and he declined, saying that he doesn't like peaches. I thought for a moment and then clarified, "Alex, this is a good peach. I don't think I've had a good peach in a couple of years! Just try it!" It was sweet, juicy and perfect. He tried it, and, behold, he liked it! So...if you're looking at trying to develop a healthier diet and would like to enjoy it as you do so, then check out that local farmer's market if you can!
P.S. By the way, if you've heard the hype about Walmart and their miniscule pledge to buy a tiny percentage of local produce--well, that's all very well and good and the right direction and all, but I have checked out their offerings (and bought and tasted) and STRONGLY urge you to compare the farmer's market produce, if that's what you've been used to. I think you'll be quite happy you did, and your tastebuds will thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment