Monday, July 18, 2011

Cilantro and Genmaicha, Clearing a Pantry and the Farmer's Market

A Midsummer hello to you!  Can you believe it's already mid-July?  The kids start back to school in just over a month, and Fiona still has one more camp to go, meanwhile...
So, I thought I'd blog about some of the more productive, idealistic home miscellany of the summer. 
The chickies are finally outdoor chicks.  Unfortunately, a huge yellow rat snake consumed Agnes, one of the Welsummers, but the snake has been transferred into the care of, actually, the author I wrote about not so long ago!  Yes, Keyes wanted a pet snake, so there it went!  Michael has spent the last couple of days proofing the fencing inside the coop to prevent further such disasters...  Though, of course, the chicks won't lay eggs for about 6 more months, they actually boosted our egg production by scaring Bach out of her broody phase!  Given that we only have 2 hens at the moment, that's a significant change!
Otherwise, most of our food purchases this summer have been particularly ideal.  We've created a little Saturday morning ritual of heading to the farmer's market.  It's actually really fun, as we then go to a funky little veg cafe there and then pick up a few items at the one natural food store in Savannah. 
I've been at an all-time low on traditional grocery store ventures, as I decided to work through our pantry.  Packaged foods do keep, but at some point they should be rotated, right?  Well, I have a tendency to just keep piling and piling...   After several weeks, the freezer and the pantry are both a bit more accessible, though we still have more to go through!  We are making an effort, though, to continue plowing through.  Tacos tonight to use up those taco shells...
Meanwhile, though, I'm still trying to continue with as many fresh food items as usual--or more.  It'd be a shame not to in the summer, right?  My current infatuation is with cilantro. 
While my skinnyfying diet has been on hold so long that it's sort of a mere memory at this point, this is a great tip to add to my list--chopped cilantro, steeped in boiling water, with a spoonful of broth concentrate, makes a fantastic soup.  It's my current new thrilling discovery (yes, I do get overenthused, don't I?).  Cilantro is delicious, and, fortuitously, is a great detoxifier.  Though I've always loved cilantro, the flavor seemed so distinctive that I didn't tend to use it except for special recipes.  Now, though, I have a daily sort of way to use it up (it doesn't stay fresh for long).
Along that skinnyfying vein, I've also discovered a love for Genmaicha--a green tea with toasted rice (and sometimes popcorn) flavoring!  Anyhow, just thought I'd mention that, as green tea is a metabolic stimulant and great antioxidant, and I found that this tea just boosted my consumption several-fold.
Despite these fantastic reports, I've also gotten into fixing delicious fatty foods like quiche and pesto and all such.  Oh yes, our basil is so proliferative, so the pesto is wonderful--but still fattening!
Anyhow, that's the home food report, I suppose.  Feeling good about the more wholesome choices and green about clearing out the pantry and all, though at some point I suppose we'll start replacing those frozen and canned goods, though hopefully not quite as much.  It's actually still surprising what I'm finding in the freezer... 

No comments: