So proud of Fiona today! She finished an exhausting week at the fashion camp put on by SCAD (Savannah College of Art & Design) and SAA (Savannah Arts Academy), which culminated in a fashion show this afternoon in which the girls modeled the dresses they had designed and made over the past week. Fiona was selected to be the first down the catwalk, and her teacher confided afterwards that Fiona's was her favorite design!
We did have a small tragedy, however... At the end of the event, when we went to gather the designs Fiona had drawn over the week (16 in all), half of them were missing. An art thief? Perhaps... I did see a rather svelte, classy, thin woman with no apparent children eyeing those drawings--perhaps she's stealing the designs?! Maybe! Actually, I'm sure it's probably that another parent gathered Fiona's art by mistake. Understandable, but she had tears in her eyes at the loss.
Fortunately, as luck would have it, for some reason I'd decided to snap pictures immediately tonight. I generally wait until I have the art home, but I do have photos of the designs, albeit a couple are a little blurry. So, they can still go in her online portfolio (yes, I've created a blog of her own which functions as her online portfolio, as a friend of mine pointed out!).
Hmm...let's see. There's so much to say about the wonderful camps, but Fiona, for the past week, has been of the mindset that she wants to become a fashion designer. She's thrown her heart into the camp, and I've been living a bit vicariously, I'll admit! In fact, I'm particularly thrilled with the hairstyle that we did this morning. Think about it--it's sort of a similar opportunity for me. How often do you get to play at 'art' and then have it featured in fashion show--and, yes, her hair was definitely my piece of art today! I was elated that it held up all day, even through her recess games! This pic was at 4 p.m., and I put her hair up at 6:30-7:30 a.m.! Hurrah for hair products!
I'd seen the tutorial before, when I was 'researching' for my second book about '20's hairdo's. Fiona actually was aiming for a 1920's style dress--and her drawing including a very era-appropriate hat--but I think most folks thought she looked a bit like a flamenco dancer! She did find that a bit annoying :).
After the show, I took her to the Barnes & Noble cafe for a little treat while we waited for Michael and Grammy to finish work. She was instantly baraged with compliments when we walked in the door, and it was quite a pleasant little cafe visit. The barista said, "I don't mean to be weird, but your daughter is gorgeous!" Yep, nice time!
We celebrated with dinner at Troy, and the sweetie fell asleep from exhaustion on our way home!
No comments:
Post a Comment