Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Not So Very Fancy

So, I have come to a nominal juncture in my plans.  Almost from the moment we inherited my grandparents' place, I have had big plans for their parlour.   It was a wasted room for them, as they shut it up and NEVER once used it in all my memory, except to pile more stuff into.  I loved that room--probably partly for the reason that I was not allowed in there--and so, within hours of receiving the house, I had a scheme to make that off-limits room my very own writing parlour.  Anyhow, I had images of a fancy desk and a rather ornate, gilded look to the room, but it's turned out, partly as a matter of practicality, to be a more functional room.  Though I started well enough with my gorgeous hardwood floor (now refinished) and Oriental rug, my big, plain desk, black-framed art, big black reclining chair, and fun World Market curtains have nearly completed the room at this point, and I am finally admitting that it calls for a name change.  That room is not a fancy writing parlour.  Instead, it is a totally awesome, practical study--provided I get some bookshelves in there, which Michael says is an essential requirement for that room title, regardless of Nooks and Kindles!  It's pretty, slightly funky, and totally my own--as all of the art on the walls has my personal touch.  Big posters of my book covers, a gorgeous poster of my daughter (in a dress made by her), and a collage of those Hanoverian royalty folks--I didn't do the actual art for those, but it's like a storybook in itself, and there is great meaning behind my arrangement and placement of the painting copies, an entirely original setup which has entailed many a long-winded narration thus far!  To paint your own walls and refinish your floors and pick out every element of a room's decor--largely your self-created artwork--generates quite a feeling of satisfaction, you know?  Talk about 'owning' it.  Anyhow, my study is not all that fancy, but it is so nice to be in there.  Comfortable and right.  
Did I mention that I had my first few days in there recently?  Yes, I had been at the kitchen table for some time before that, and, as awesome as that table is, it's fantastic to get into the study.  I am not a super-contained, neat sort of person, so the big room, huge desk and all are PERFECT for me.  And getting the study furniture out of the living room simultaneously opened that room back up for business, too, so the house seems absolutely huge now.  
Have you ever dealt with the mess of a remodel?  I'm definitely thinking about waiting just a little bit before starting the next room remodel, though I'm jonesing to start that bedroom demolition project!  Just so happy about having things cleared up for a moment...  

No comments: