Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Smart and Sensible. Oh, and pretty, too!

Yesterday, in the pool, my little girl was practicing her backstroke.  She had the entire section of the pool to herself, as Alex and his friend were clear on the other side, and a few folks were in the deep end, but no one was remotely near to her.  Eyes squeezed shut tightly, Fiona is splashing with each stroke as she propels herself backwards.  Out of the blue, she commands authoritatively, "Stop!"
What?
"Stop!  Stop Splashing Me!"
"Fiona, no one's splashing you!"
"Stop spraying that water gun at me."
Look around.  No one is spraying a water gun or even looking at her.  "Fiona, no one's spraying you!  You're splashing yourself."
"Stop it, NOW!"
When Fiona gets back, I'm shaking my head and trying to soothe her.  She actually isn't terribly upset--she's a very self-possessed person, but there was no convincing her that someone wasn't spraying her, and she's annoyed.
"I felt it."
"No, honey."  Oh Lord, she's paranoid like me.

Moments later, Alex's friend comes up with a big grin.  "Fiona, it was me.  I was spraying you."
I peer at him, almost disbelieving.  I didn't see this, even though I was looking.  "Did you really?"
"Yes!"
Sure enough, he has a water gun in his hand, and Fiona's not at all angry with him--she's giving me an 'I told you so' look.

Me?  Huge relief.  I'd been horrified for a couple of minutes that my girl was paranoid.  I've been accused of that trait more than once, and even though the online and phone harassment keeps happening, my friends don't see it directly and thus try to reassure me, "No, honey."
And, even after all that personal experience, what was my reaction to hearing my perfectly sane little girl's accusation?  It was "No, honey."
I'm glad this happened, actually.  I hope I've learned my lesson about trusting my daughter (and friends) in their reports, and I'm feeling a bit more validated about my own experiences.  I've never had any other reason to doubt my grip on reality, but the ongoing, continuous issues do make one wonder--especially when your nearest and dearest repeat over and over, "No, honey."
Most of all, I'm glad it happened because I've been so very hurt at them not trusting me.  Now that I've been that way with my own daughter, I have a little more sympathy for their position.  They don't see anything, and it seems easier to think just random glitches and errors and all such are creating the problems.  It's just easier to think there's not 'really' a problem.  The most important thing, though, is to realize that their lack of faith in my reports does not mean that they don't love me--because there is no one in all the world that I love more than my beautiful, wonderful, fantastic daughter.  I can't believe I doubted her.  Not that I doubted her truthfulness--just her perception.  But of course she was right.  She's not stupid or in any way out-of-touch with reality.  There's a girl with her head on her shoulders--and what a pretty, sensible, and smart head it is!

No comments: