http://www.drawyourworld.com/dnealian.html
Which handwriting style did you learn? I love my old-fashioned but unusual P's and R's, and this website confirms it's the late 19th/early 20th century Palmer Cursive that I was taught. I always wondered where those ornate capital letters came from!
My third grade teacher, Ms. Robin Avelis, who read my class The Chronicles of Prydain, told us that we were learning a more old-fashioned cursive, which she preferred, and I believe she may have presented the 'standard' letters as well, but I adored the fancy P's and R's, particularly. (As you may have guessed, Ms. Avelis qualifies as my all-time favorite school teacher. I do believe she was the brightest elementary school teacher I had. She liked to say 'groovy' all the time, which I thought was funny!)
Despite my love of the Palmer Cursive method, I've discovered it's a slight challenge trying to help the kids with their modern cursive, as I'm always questioning whether those strange characters are perhaps the 'new' way! Now I have a reference!
Fiona's been signing her name in many different artistic ways lately, and she's just learning cursive, which she loves, as I did. I suspect that she will develop a 'fair hand', as they used to say!
Poor Alex seems to have inherited the chicken-scratch of his dad and Gramps--must be a Y-chromosome thing--but it's slowly improving. He's in fifth grade, and only extremely recently have we managed to adjust his cursive 'o' to not look like an 'a'. What an improvement! And in time for a big creative writing test in school. Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment