Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Stick-to-itness

Numerous ideas and interests seem to pop up repeatedly and too often, really. I am so easily distracted by so many fascinating things these days. I've always considered myself a very tenacious person, but I don't seem to be recently... or maybe it's the opposite! Perhaps I expect to master every subject of interest, which is really a very silly presumption.
It really is good for us to develop a variety of light interests. For example, I've been feeling guilty about losing my chicken passion! Yes, I bought books and learned about some chicken breeds, and then I began Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens in a systematic way, thinking I would finish the complete book like a course, but I only made it through about page 50 in this manner (though I use it as a reference book still). I did learn a lot of interesting things about chickens from my readings and the internet--and it was fun, but, no, I don't need to be a chicken expert! Our chickens have not begun laying eggs yet, but we expect them to soon, as they're now 6 months old.
Michael and I began the Stephen Hawking's Universe series, and, after 3 fascinating episodes, I was inclined to begin a new television series and would have if Michael had not expressed his desire to finish the series. I settled down slightly discontentedly, but as soon as the show began and we continued, I wondered why I had been inclined to switch so quickly.
Even when I work out on the elliptical, I swap between at least two shows at a time--and sometimes three or even four. I make up my mind daily as to which I'm in the mood for (or what's due at the library soon!), and I have been known to switch from one show to another during the same workout session.
At this moment, I have many unfinished projects and books. There are so many things that I buy the supplies to do--recipes, home projects, etc.--and then take an eternity to get around to or simply forget about. ADD? Perhaps. I know from experience that I can commit to an activity, that I can finish particular projects. It's nice to have multiple interests, but we do need to limit ourselves to a certain degree, or the 'fun' things become too much and actually stressors.

The most important component to following through on things, though, is routine and schedule. Perhaps it's time to create one for my 'free' time so that I can follow through on things that are of interest to me...and so that I can evaluate what is worth being on my 'follow-through' list. Perhaps chicken books, sewing doll dresses, and Jewish cooking are not my priorities. Then again, perhaps I would follow through on more things if I restricted this computer time!

No comments: