Last night, Fiona and I went to see the Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty ballet, performed by the Perm Ballet of Russia. It was lovely, and I'm glad we had the opportunity to see it...but it's sort of like Disney or any other expensive entertainment in that I am content with nothing less than complete bedazzlement when significant money is involved! The Ballet was great, though, and I hate how my cheapness chafes my experiences sometimes--for example, I didn't buy a $10 program for the ballet, though I kept thinking it would have been nice to glance through it during the show. I don't want it as a momento, though, particularly. $80+ dollars for two tickets alone already had me gobsmacked!
The principal dancer who played Aurora was excellent. I enjoyed one point where she held a rigid pose, much like a jewelry box ballerina, while other dancers spun her around continually while they danced. However, she was particularly gaunt and thin among the dancers. At the end of the show, when they were taking bows, she fell backwards after her third bow. The other dancers gracefully righted her in two seconds, and she laughed it off, but I was just consumed with the thought that the poor tiny thing probably hadn't eaten much of anything all day, before dancing a three-hour ballet. All the travelling and worry about weight and performances, regardless of fatigue or illness... it must be a rough life, honestly! I suppose I worry a little extra because my beautiful and healthy little girl is currently dreaming of being a professional ballerina...and artist and singer and any number of other occupations, of course!
Fiona did have the opportunity of taking a Master ballet class with one of the Russian dancers. Unfortunately, she had been expecting an elegant and sparkly ballerina and was quite excited, but instead there was a 40-ish male dancer in street clothes. I was allowed to sit in on the end of class, and it was obvious that Fiona and many of the girls were confused and a little overwhelmed, that they were struggling to follow along with him, and that Fiona's dance teacher felt self-conscious about the 'performance' of her girls--with fussy comments, "you should all know this!" Fiona left a bit down, though of course it was a great opportunity for her and I hope she may have learned a little, though I'm not sure she's advanced to the point of gleaning finesse from a professional yet.
Fiona does normally get very excited about her dance classes, and she does think they're fun. I think the relaxed, low-key and inexpensive performances at the Savannah Arts Academy are inspiring and fun adjuncts to her little-girl ballet classes. While of course the Perm ballet is a fascinating and amazing opportunity, the three-hour length and significant expense and high-pressure master classes make it all just a bit much, unfortunately, for a little girl. More than she needs at this point, anyhow, as, though she watched the ballet with interest, she was exhausted by the third act and asked if we could leave. (Might as well ask the wall to move...not a chance!) Not that we won't do it again, as apparently Fiona's dance instructor is heavily involved in the travelling ballet performances in Savannah and is invested in them--and of course we did enjoy the excellent and lovely performance, despite my griping and concerns!
No comments:
Post a Comment