Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Clinical Pearl: Fire-Cupping to Treat Bruising

Now that the weather is warmng up, folks are playing outside more and injuring themselves.  I've been using fire-cupping lately to treat quite a few patients with massive bruises.  At first it seems counter-intuitive, since cupping often creates bruises--but since there is already a bruise there, I am using the suction to break up the coagulated blood stagnation, and it's working very well!  I've been using as big of cups as possible, depending on the location, and as many cups as necessary or practical to cover the entire effected area.  I use regular glass fire cups, and leave them in place 15 - 30 minutes.  In most cases so far, the bruising has resolved within 48 hours of the treatment.  One of my patients has even begun using fire cupping to treat her friends who have bruises, and she is also seeing very good results.
 
Michael A. Ard-Kelly, L.Ac.
Lowcountry Natural Health Center, L.L.C.

No comments: