Monday, May 13, 2013

Materialism and guilt

We just got back from a trip to Atlanta.  I'm busily editing my book--there's so much to do!--but I am distracted with thoughts about materialism, about how to balance it with our consciences.

On one hand, I was encouraged by my counselor at one point to think in terms of plenitude -that there is enough for everyone, that we're not doing anyone any favor by denying ourselves.  And to some extent, I think our ingenuity makes this true.  For instance, do you recall dire predictions about running out of coal, gas, and oil?  About how we'd have to do without cars, without electricity?  Well, solar and wind power are proving that this isn't the case--and they're also greener, healthier.  So, since those are pollutants, I'm not for them, but the concern about plenitude was unfounded.

On another level, the concern about pollution guides my concern here as well, for most industries do produce pollution.  The more 'stuff' we buy, the more pollution is generated by these industries.

So, we had a very American, materialistic weekend.  We visited the American Girl store in Atlanta.  First, let's shame...their products are not produced in America!  They're vastly overpriced, but I haven't seen the first sign of anything green about their production.  They hire CHEAP labor and price through the roof!  And the dolls are made with plastic.  What else?  Oh, their latest movie shows a leaning towards selfish brattiness, whereas the older ones were much more about altruism and morals.  AND?  The mothers are much older than I am in these movies, which points again to their demographic--the mom actually had young twins in the last movie, which hints at in vitro, given the actress' age of 50.
Ugh.  When I focus on these points, I feel a bit ashamed of shelling my money out to this corporation, supporting such crass materialism and, obviously, pollution.  However, I'd like to mention the finer points of this corporation now...

One word:  Barbie.  American Girls are very wholesome young GIRLS, not women.  Much more appropriate.  Also, they draw girls in with their stories, many historical, often dealing quite well with girl issues.  Psychologically, it is so much nicer than the Barbie industry.  On the same note, I have to say that the high prices of the American Girl dolls have a positive end--the girls I know have just one or a couple of the dolls.  They're meant to be SPECIAL.  Fiona had tons of Barbies, none of whom received much care or such enjoyment.  So, in a sort of 'scale' comparison, the AG dolls are sort of like your hybrid vehicles.  Yes, still causing pollution, but not as much.  I also think it's healthy for the girls to learn to care for their things.  They all paid for their dolls to have their hair worked on in the doll salon--at a price that could have easily bought a NEW Barbie.  But it got their dolls looking fresh and new, and was SO worth it.  (Hey, at least those workers were American!)
Oh, while I'm mentioning Barbie, I feel a need to mention that their movies are going downhill in the extreme. I loved the early ones, but the latest are not nearly the quality and again are promoting selfish, bratty behavior again.  What's up with them?  I'm quite disappointed.

Okay, so there we go.  This is a constant dialogue in my head--these worries about materialism.  Since inheriting my grandparents' big old home, we're maintaining two very spacious dwellings.  When I'm in SC, I'll walk through the town and notice families living in mobile homes and am struck with a feeling of guilt that we barely stay in our big old house there, which I love.  Meanwhile, those families stay full-time in a cramped little trailer.
Oh well...or not oh well.
I'm afraid I don't have an answer.  Minimally, I should be appreciative and do my best to not be wasteful.  I do shop at consignment shops and the farmer's market.  We're vegetarian and frequent a little veg cafe that uses organic ingredients.  That's actually our Saturday morning 'outing' that leaves me feeling proud and happy, actually--we buy local and organic groceries for the week and eat at that cafe, and it's still pleasant and fun and tasty, without all the guilt.
And we are working to restore that old home in SC.  That's a very green thing to do--and given the number of dilapidated dwellings around there, perhaps I should let go of my guilt about owning it!  And, who knows?  We may just retire there--and we don't have any other retirement plan going on!  Or, I've thought--it might serve for Fiona to set up house there when she's a budding artist.  She could garden and write...  That's possible, though I worry about her social life there.  

Want to know another thought I've been having?  It's the concern that I'll contribute to deforestation if my books are printed.  I'm trying to tell myself that the publishing companies have a quota of books that they ARE going to print, so by making mine one of them, the number of books won't be any different.  Maybe.  Anyhow, I should just hold onto that thought for comfort so long as my books aren't being printed, then I'll need to bury the notion when they are.  And if they ever get HUGE, perhaps I can influence towards greener practices, like JK Rowling did (I believe--her last Harry Potter book was 70% or so recycled materials).

Hmm, perhaps the answer is, again, moderation.  At least, that seems to be the right answer towards my own peace of mind, in general.  The Taoists talk about 'going with the flow', and I've felt the pain of being so very different from the mainstream culture.  It's easier if you cave and enjoy it to a certain extent--and figure out ways to make things better in the process.

Okay, thanks for thinking about this with me.  I need to get back to the editing, but these worries and my conscience were plaguing me.  I can worry myself silly, but I do think that a certain level of conscientiousness can help a lot.

No comments: