Sunday, February 3, 2013

Homespun update

Oh my goodness, I just looked back through some posts and saw that I finished the Homespun rough draft nearly a year ago.  Whew...big breaths.

With all my issues, I've been literally unable to work on it consistently, and I'm still not thrilled yet...too much darkness, in my opinion, in the first half especially.  And books are for the readers, right?  Okay, so some folks don't mind prolonged dark writing, but I've never particularly cared for horror stories or constant drama.  I need humor and lightness, and I've adjusted it a bit--I'd particularly like to add one chapter.

The truth?  I've been 'banned' from working on it by my well-meaning advisers.  Michael, Laura (my editor and BFF), and my sis all know what I'm going through, and they want me to avoid triggers--which, unfortunately, includes all the fun things--my intense music, my intense stories--be they movies, novels, or my own writing, and, most difficult of all, alone time.  They say, and I'm hoping desperately, that this is just temporarily, until I'm back to close-to-normal.  And I'm writing my blog now, aren't I?  That shows some improvement again, I hope.

To tell the truth, I think it'll be a process of 'let's just see how it goes'.  Baby-steps, you know.  Like trying to work on my novel while hanging out at Michael's office, so I'm not alone.  No, I can't focus or relax like at home, but there's a safety net, since most of my troubles were at their peak when I was alone.  And few people like their alone-time as much as I do.  Sigh.  Ironic, isn't it?

Things have been so extreme, though.  If I could just focus for a couple of weeks, Homespun should be ready enough for publication.  Ideally, at least a month or two for optimal adjustments, but my standards aren't incredibly high at the moment.  I'm just desperate to finish my trilogy.  Even if all the other books (I have another series in mind that I've begun two books around) never are completed, I feel impelled to complete my trilogy.  I'm like " that close.  Sort of like breaking your leg right before black belt testing in taekwondo, you know--my knee went out just after, but at least I got that belt.  I want to finish my trilogy, which definitely involves more editing.  I can't just publish a rough draft.  I'd be ashamed.

AND I am excited about a whole different series, which I've been ripped apart from with this illness.  So hopefully Homespun isn't the end of my writing 'career'.  My writing-heart has moved on to another space, but Homespun needs completion, and I'll feel so much better getting it out there, finally published.  Just e-published, you know, nothing fancy.  But out there and complete.  If nothing else, maybe of interest to my grandkids and great-grandkids and all that, you know?  Wouldn't that be fun to read your ggg-grandparent's novel (or, even better, trilogy)?  I think so :).

Okay, I've gotten myself all pumped up.  I think I will take my laptop into Michael's office this week and see if I can edit a bit.  Send me good wishes, please, and even pray for me, if that's your thing and you're comfortable with it.  Yes, this person right here has been doing that a bit.  I'm ashamed it's not regularly and it's quite selfish, and I hate to 'put God in a box' or act like he's 'on call', but hopefully I'm forgiven as I asked for forgiveness as I prayed.  Life is too confusing and too hard sometimes, isn't it?

No comments: