The past year has been a time of much work on my grandparents' house. My kids have inherited their home, but, given that Grandaddy was 91 at the time of death, things had gotten just a tad run down. At first, it was just a mission to restore a couple of the very worst rooms, but it's become a complete project now, which includes the entire house. Not that I'm tearing down walls or any such, but the next room will involve ripping out paneling and a drop ceiling. Yep, planning to gut the thing! Strange what they thought constituted 'improvement'. Sigh... Anyhow, at this 1 yr juncture, I am thrilled that we've nearly gotten a quarter of the house redone. Hey, it's big!
You know the fun thing about the slow pace, room by room? It's the character that each room gets--and how much pride you gain by seeing your work day after day. I wish I'd taken before pictures, but I always cringe from the ugly ones! It'd be nice to show the amazing contrast, though, as folks all-too-quickly forget how awful they were before!
So far, each room is an entirely different color, though I've stuck with the same 'bistro white' for trimwork. Hoping to get at least two rooms 'on-line' here in the next couple of weeks, and maybe I'll break for just a little breather before starting the gutting project! Can hardly wait, though, as my son's room is SO much nicer than ours!
No, he doesn't get preferential treatment! Poor guy was on the living room sofa at first, as the room was initially unlivable--for months! Then, of course, Fiona was a little jealous, though she'd gotten the nicest room of all to begin with. However, we're redoing her little bathroom now. We put new tile down, which is gorgeous! Just love tiling. New sink and toilet, ceiling fan (yep, in bathroom)...it's cute, and a pretty 'French Lavender Blue' now. Can't wait to finish.
That's about it, and my mind spends just about as much time circling around these projects these days as it does my author stuff. Tedious to everyone else, but kind of fun for me! In fact, Michael called me the 'project manager' last weekend, and I realized that is a little how it is--another 'cap' to try on and wear with pride. That Gemini thing, you know...
Okey-dokey. Dare I say that things are going a little, tiny smidge better than last time I wrote? Maybe life will get back to normal. That would be nice! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment