Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Pecan Crackin'


We gathered some pecans this past weekend at my grandparent's place in SC.  Michael thinks the tree is over a hundred years old.  It is huge!  Anyhow, so fun to harvest something at last, as the pears and figs didn't make at all this year.  Or, if they did, the birds and squirrels got them!  This afternoon Alex helped me shell enough to make pesto--with our own basil plants, as well.  I toast them and use them instead of pine nuts, and we all approve of the switch-up!  After dinner, I suggested that we crack some more for cookies tomorrow, and Michael, now home from work, pulled out the Rocket Pecan-Cracker!  It's fantastic!  The pressure is applied at the ends so that you end up with far more whole nuts in the end, rather than all those little pieces.  We're not entirely sure who we inherited the device from, but we've had it for a while and I was fairly clueless as to its purpose.  Now I know!  Fiona played the piano--between dashing over to try out the rocket-cracker--and it was quite the lovely old-fashioned evening!

No comments: