Thursday, June 9, 2011

Script-Writing Leader

Here at the end of the school year is the culmination of what the kids have been working on all year, so you're going to see the peak point of my bragging about them right around the beginning of June every year.  And yes, if I had to pick an area of my life where I feel supremely blessed, this is certainly a top contender.  I swear that I simply go to the quarterly conferences with full expectations of hearing my kids praised and to receive heaps of credit that I've done little to deserve. 
Honestly, Alex's teacher started in on what a fantastic job he'd done on the previous day's presentation.  He'd taken pains to make it interesting and funny, apparently, and it covered quite an impressive quantity of material for class review.  She was fairly glowing. 
My response?  "What presentation?"
I'm not sure she quite believed me, until then, at how truly hands-off I am about Alex's schoolwork.  I rarely even ask him about schoolwork, as I tell him that as long as he's getting glowing reports and good grades, I won't bug him. 
So, the conference was par for the course, with me feeling both proud and a little sheepish about receiving all that credit.  One stand-out comment, though, was that his teacher described him as the leader of the script-writing group for his classroom's section of the History of Language play.  Anyhow, given my bent towards writing, I did feel particularly proud about that.
Truly, though, Alex rarely brags and hardly ever seeks credit for what he does.  And he didn't even mention that presentation to me.  He does give me a hard time about my own activities, though.  I mean, really, does he honestly think that I'm throwing trash out the car window? 
And, boy, he's really disappointed at the fact that we bought a new couch that used some scrap leather in the making of the synthetic cover (elaborate process that makes it more leather-like).  It's a beautiful couch, and I thought 'good enough, it's just scrap--no animals killed for this'.  However, Alex asked, in his astute way, "Well, do you think the leather factory received money for those scraps?  Aren't you supporting the industry?"  Oh, right...
Gosh, I'm proud of my boy--and a little antsy about needing to live up to his scrutiny!   

No comments: