We have some brand new arrivals! Two Welsummers and two Plymouth Rocks--their names are Agnes, Hermione, Nicolette Machiavelli, and Hester. Yes, Alex has Nicolette--it was the only name I would agree to among the many ridiculous names he suggested. I retain unilateral veto power! And yes, Michael's terrible suggestion, 'Nidhog' (a horrific beast of lore) was also vetoed! Sort of funny, but I didn't want to burden the poor chickie with that name! And Fiona was even more adamant about that! Agnes is an American Girl name, and Hermione was my 'inspired' choice (seeing as how the Welsummer breed is from Holland and the name Hermione has an old Germanic root...and I adore the character, of course!). Michael chose Hester as a classic name for a Plymouth Rock settler. I like!
A Plymouth Rock biddy--she'll be black-and-white barred when she grows up. A classic American chicken.
A Welsummer--will be a pretty brown bird that lays dark brown eggs
So...we were hoping the chicks would arrive while Bach was still a broody bird. Nice to have a mama for them, right? Well, Bach is quietly sitting on her egg this afternoon when we bring the chicks out. I tentatively place one under her to test the waters. Bach freaked. She backed up and pecked the poor little chick more than once. She stared at it a little while and then made a mad dash into the yard. She completely wigged. Oh well...they're inside under the heat lamp now. Michael's suggested we might want to try the middle of the night so that she'll wake to them, but his source suggested not to do that if you're very attached to the biddies. Hmm...
No comments:
Post a Comment