Oh-ho! I feel better already. I was thinking, it's time for me to post something, but I haven't completed anything, the house is a mess, there's nothing particularly new to say...but when I clicked onto my blog, I saw the family meal post.
So, to continue...
That worked out really well. In fact, I was so enthused that we're doing it regularly. We each are assigned one night a week to cook--a suggestion made by Fiona's friend's family. Their daughters each cook one night per week.
We still need to work out the kinks. Alex apparently felt he met the veggie requirement by dicing a single little carrot into small pieces, for distribution amongst us all! Okay, there were a handful of peas in the dish, too...
Since then, we've been enjoying family dinners much more. Unfortunately, there's some balancing I have to do. Probably, we're overall having healthier meals, since a lot of what we did was a fend-for-yourself dinner and more frequent takeout. However, the meals by the others are generally not quite as healthy as I'd prefer. But THEY prefer them.
I made a Choroko sauce last night--a mung bean paste from Uganda. I've never really like mung beans, but I was inspired to try them again since buying this very thin little book to introduce vegetarian cooking to children. Just a few simple recipes--and I figured that perhaps they were good recipes, since they'd made it into the small cookbook.
Oh my goodness, I couldn't stop eating it. Totally amazing. Even my family liked it fairly well, but none of them loved it quite as much as me. I served the Choroko sauce with jasmine rice and steamed squash, which my family considerately left for me, since they know I like it so much :).
So, of course, their meals are generally more processed than this, but delicious, too. Somehow, it makes a big difference to only have one set night to cook. Of course, I'm cleaning after everyone and cooking some all week--making lunches and such. But when you're only responsible for ONE night, it seems more worthwhile to dedicate time and energy to the meal--especially when you get to enjoy everyone else's efforts the rest of the week.
Tonight's my night, actually. I just happened to make the Choroko sauce last night. If you cook on another night, that's fine. It's just that I'm responsible for tonight. I have a huge amount of mung beans left over...suppose I should find another recipe.
Alrighty. I have a ton to do today, and I think I'll be happier talking about a couple of other projects once I've completed them. Hopefully SOON. And to do that, I should get going!
No comments:
Post a Comment