After yesterday's post about Fiona's healthy, savvy style, I have to relate today's outfit. Flashback to the '80's! Oh my goodness...I came to pick her up from school and found that she had the big earrings, the neon and mesh top layered over her t-shirt, and her hair in a clip not too far removed from a banana clip! So funny... I'm sheepishly on here because I felt like I might have left you with the impression that she's got sophisticated style! I think she does, when she lets me dress her! But see what happens when she's given free rein? Hah. But I think her friends liked it more than I did :).
Just wanted to share. Too bad our kids don't completely share our tastes, right? But there was nothing wrong with it, just, well, you know...
Oh, and I just wanted to re-emphasize that I'm guilty of virtually all the 'crimes' I related in the last post. I do wear makeup fairly often--a little--and I probably have worn high heels a couple times in the past year and have some heel on many pairs of shoes that I wear maybe weekly or so. And I don't even feel strongly enough about it to feel apologetic about it--I only wanted to clarify that I not only relate, but I do the exact things I critiqued. I even have underwire in my drawer...though that's been IN the drawer for ages. Sigh...just comin' clean, I s'pose. Hmm...I guess it's just that I like girly stuff, and I'm not of the extreme, um, gosh--what's the term? The awful 'feminist-Nazi' term comes to mind, but I HATE that term, because I'm pretty darn feminist in theory, at least.
Anyhow, I think what I'm trying to say is that those militant mamas don't really need to think about this stuff quite as much, because they're not going to slip into high heels and makeup and all that jazz. It's the regular moms like me who really need to think about what we're doing, before we unwittingly 'sell' this idea of femininity to our daughters, too. Hmm, maybe it's like Halloween, y'know? We can dress up--heels, makeup, underwire, whatever--for a big event. Kind of like I'll put makeup on Fiona for a show... But on a daily basis it's more than just kinda silly--it's a bad example. We should treat ourselves the way we want our children to treat themselves. We just need to be a little bit careful with that sort of thing. That's all.
No comments:
Post a Comment