You know those annoying people who assume that rules and general recommendations don't apply to themselves? Well, I'm one of them. You'd be surprised how often I've been amazed at how well a suggestion worked, though I'd seen it many times and had ignored it--thinking, for some reason, I suppose, that if it really worked that well that it would be MORE obvious or already done or some such.
Anyhow, I've heard the recommendation time and again to 'budget my time', of course, by having set times for writing, sleeping, etc. Gracious, that sounds stressful...
Another recommendation is to choose a day or certain hours to be off of the computer. As a writer, I want to make exceptions for myself, but this is akin to the whole 'I'm too busy to work out' excuse. I can and should spend time away from the computer. What prompted this thought is my ongoing frustration with how little time I end up spending on gardening and such. I mean to do more, but I rarely make it. The fact is, I generally prioritize everything else.
I'm not going to implement this for a couple of weeks, at least, as we have a busy rest-of-summer planned, but I'm going to give it some more thought. I'd like to get in the swing of exercising and gardening regularly. The exercise happens fairly well, but the gardening doesn't. Eventually, I'm kind of hoping to start up a greenhouse, but first-off, I need to commit myself to getting out there more!
I'm inspired by the memories of little old German ladies out in their front-yard gardens. They didn't even have front yards at all--it was a cozy little garden in front of their town homes. Even for such small gardens, which were generally very neat and well-maintained, those women had to get out there and do some work--enough for me to witness them out there.
In Moscow, folks produce about 50% of their own produce within the city limits! Backyard greenhouses abound there. Anyhow, just ruminating on this and thinking about how I'd like to be a little more self-sufficient that way. Talk about FRESH--which gives us more vitamins and minerals and taste! Also, phenomenally less resources used in the production--once we get established, anyhow.
I'm really thinking about this. We've got our little hen flock, pecan tree, and old pear tree contributing to our healthy food consumption now, and with further thought we'll hopefully continue to utilize and expand such as these.
No comments:
Post a Comment