Fiona and I stopped by the Trustee's Organic Farmer's Market today. We bought some eggs laid by Rhode Island Red hens (we're kind of excited about breeds these days) and some vegetables. Anyhow, this evening I made some scrambled eggs and boiled some Silver Queen corn. I have never heard my children exclaim so much about eggs. Alex, who regularly refuses to eat scrambled eggs, asked for seconds, and he's very excited about having our own hens, as he seems to really like these free range eggs, which have higher beneficial omega-3 fats and lower cholesterol. Oh, the vendor actually had photographs of his chickens wandering about in the fields!
We all enjoyed the boiled corn as plain as could be, as I was out of Smart Balance (a healthy margarine). It was so good that none of us minded!
On a historical note, the Trustee's Farmer's Market is at the site of the original garden established by the founders of Savannah. They still have a decent garden nearby, and I bought cucumbers and squash from it.
Anyhow, it was fun and delicious to have a dinner in the Locavore tradition (local food eaters).
Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how.
No comments:
Post a Comment